The Poet X

The book is corny to an extent but over all its a good I had a smile on my face the whole time. The Poet X is mostly about Xiomara, she is a young girl who is lost in life. This book is about her and the challenges her mother brings her, though out the book she struggles with religion and wanting to be with a boy doing things she knows going out side her religion. I don’t really like her in the begging of the book but by the middle I get why she is how she is.

I think the author is trying to have the big idea be coming of age or finding self worth. I think this because at the begging of the book she is very down about herself but by the end of the book she is starting to like her body, her hair and more of her heritage.

One thing that bugs in mine the book is how her mother treats her but then at the end of the book her mother being to act like she was supportive of her all along when she really wasn’t.

I choice this picture because it shows Xiomara finding herself and is putting her pieces together. And I kinda see the flower pot at the bottom holding her up like her poetry because she loved to write and I think that is what lead her to where she is at the end of the book.

I do like the author style of writing, as a person who struggles with reading having a book in poetry is easier for me to understand and made it fun. Elizabeth Acevedo the Author had each section of the book short and in poetry form with kept the book going, unlike other books it was never a dull moment leading up to what was going to happen it was just fun and always had something going on. Another thing that I liked was how Acevedo had some of her pages going in different directions almost showing in a deeper way that Xiomara wasn’t perfect.

2 thoughts on “The Poet X

1. bgross0816

The book sounds like a good plot even if it may seem corny at times. I also like the idea of coming of age shown in the book as it is a good message for any teenager to hear. I also like your image and it really shows the messages that are in the book in a good way.

Reply
  2. jdwilson420

this book sounds very neat, not up my alley but it’s seems good. I really liked how you explained the reasoning behind why you chose the image that you did it makes it easier for me to tie in how it correlates to it. if the author were to make a sequel (if they haven’t already) would you read it, or did the story end peacefully with no loose ends?

Reply